HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

HARMONIK: CAN THEY AVOID THE CURSE of the "MEGA HIT"?

HARMONIK: CAN THEY AVOID THE CURSE of the "MEGA HIT"?

Postby kompamagazine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am

*HARMONIK: CAN THEY AVOID THE CURSE of the "MEGA HIT"? Why "BENYEN M" might be the BEST & WORST thing that could happen to them!

HARMONIK no doubt has a MAJOR HIT on their hands right now with the song "CHERIE BENYI M". A lot of bands in the HMI would pay an arm and a leg to be able to score a MEGAHIT on their resume like HMK; let alone...they have had MEGA HITS BEFORE. If you take the songs "OBSEDE", "MWEN BOUKE", "JERE M"...and if you want to put "ILLEGAL" in there too.....it just goes to show you that THE MEGAHIT GAME IS NOTHING NEW FOR THE HMK TEAM.

Having said that, the phenomenon surrounding their latest hit "CHERIE BENYI M" is something that NONE of the songs mentioned above have had from the word "GO"...an opinion shared by a couple of close Harmonik friends/associates in the business that have spoken to us about that. While it is ABSOLUTELY GREAT FOR BUSINESS for the band to have a song of that magnitude in their hands...(They can RIDE THAT 1 SONG "alone" anywhere from 6 months to 2 years...depending on who you ask); what I am extremely worried about are A COUPLE OF THE OTHER SONGS THAT ARE ON THE CD..."NOT" being able to reach THEIR FULL POTENTIAL (Possible HITS as well)....BECAUSE OF THE "BENYEN PHENOMENON".

When the PUBLIC chooses a song off of a group's CD, and decides "SE A MIZIK SA MAP MACHE SOU PLAK SA"...there is absolutely NOTHING that anybody can do about that. You can have other songs on the CD that are more deserving of being a hit because of the musical beauty, or what have you (GENERAL STATEMENT by the way); but if a song is THE PUBLIC'S CHOICE off of a group's CD, you can try to offer the public OTHER GOOD MEALS IN THE MENU, and they can basically tell you...."SORRY...SE MANJE SA MWEN VLE TOUJOU".

I AM EXTREMELY WORRIED that HARMONIK will once again be a VICTIM OF THEIR OWN SUCCESS because it has happened before on previous CDS where there were songs that COULD HAVE BEEN HITS; BUT BECAUSE THE PUBLIC HAD DECIDED TO CHOOSE "1" song as "THE ONE"; the other songs did NOT get their deserved credit.

I can give you a list right now:

*"I HEART U": To this day, I have no idea why that song was not bigger than it was.
*"TRUE LOVE": On the debut CD, and Nicky had just scored not long ago with his solo CD. Should have been bigger than it was...BLOKE by "OBSEDE/JERE M" tandem on the debut cd.
*On the last CD when the group decided to release "DIFERAN" as the first single...only for the fans to say "SE AK ILLEGAL NAP MACHE"....but in the process, songs like "Mesi", "Bel Ti Moman", and "Ou Se" got lost in the shuffle and did not score AS BIG AS I THOUGHT THEY WOULD.

Don't get me wrong, it is a PRIVILEGE to have a mega hit. As a matter of fact, none other than the legendary ROBERT MARTINO once told me "YOU ONLY NEED 1 SONG TO BE A HIT ON A CD....and that song will CARRY THE REST OF THE CD"; but having said that wouldn't it be much better to have 2/3 songs off of a CD get "almost" the same reaction from the public once they hear the first notes; instead of knowing that the public is waiting on THAT 1 SONG....POU FE LOBEY NAN BAL LA? Songs like "INCROYABLE", "SIMPLICITE", "PAP NEGOSYE W", "FE MWEN KONFYANS" are TOO GOOD to be just "PASSENGERS" on the "BENYEN" ship in my opinion.
PS: PA KITE LOT MIZIK YO MOURI TANKOU "DOUB 6" NAN MIN NOU SOU CD SA!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEE!

What will the HARMONIK crew do to prevent that from happening......It will be very interesting to watch indeed. In the meantime..."TE MA L BENYE N" (Musically speaking that is :lol: :lol: :lol: )

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

Re: HARMONIK: CAN THEY AVOID THE CURSE of the "MEGA HIT"?

Postby kalekow » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Harmonik has a lot of great songs like you mentioned, but a lot of those are not for the average listeners. Yo trop complike, they have had a lot of hits, but to me this is their first megabit . Zanmi was a megahit. Songs like Jerem Obsede, Illegal, Mwen Bouke were just major hits.
kalekow

MUSIC