HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

FATIMA "UNCOVERED": INTERVIEW with KOMPA MAGAZINE! (Read)

FATIMA "UNCOVERED": INTERVIEW with KOMPA MAGAZINE! (Read)

Postby kompamagazine » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 pm

She's one of the upcoming/promising female artists coming out of Haiti and she is a lady of many talents. She's a celebrity in the motherland (Artist/TV Star/Model)...today we bring you FATIMA "UNCOVERED" as she discusses a few things with KOMPA MAGAZINE on her career, the industry, her life + MORE!

CONDUCTED by PATRICK DESVARIEUX for KOMPA MAGAZINE

****LISTEN to the song "DESTINE"****
https://soundcloud.com/kompamagazine-com/fatima-destine

1) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If you had to introduce yourself to some new fans, the ones who might not know who you are, tell us WHO is FATIMA.
FATIMA: "Hi, my name is Fatima Genise Durand Altieri. I was born on the 20th of September 1993. I'm mostly a shy girl, I love God, nature, food and everything that has life in it, by that i mean human, animal, flowers, and all! Besides music and modeling, I'm studying public relations and marketing. I have a little foundation "it takes love to make a child smile" where me and one of my friends who's also a part of the foundation; we collect toys food and school supplies for some kids once or twice a year. I meditate a lot, I read, I go to work, I have a TVShow at Tele eclair "FatimaShow culture lakay". I'm a normal person if I can put it like that. And my big passion is music."

2) KOMPA MAGAZINE: How did you get started in music? Who inspired your love for it?
FATIMA: "I was 6 years old when I did my first solo at church, that was a long time ago lol. I basically started at church in a choir. In 2010 I participated in Digicel Stars, and that's where I really started my career. A lot of artists inspired me! And it's mix from national and international artists such as Mariah Carey, Belo, Whitney Houston, Emeline Michel, Etta James, Dona Summer, Michael Jackson! All these people are having a party in my head! It's a mix."

3) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If a music fan were to describe the type of music that FATIMA plays; what would he or she say?
FATIMA: "Well I'm a world music artist! But for now I'm more a zouk/kompa kinda girl! But I consider myself as a world music artist!"

3A) KOMPA MAGAZINE: What are you listening to right now in terms of what's vibing in your stereo player?
FATIMA: "Oh right now? It would be the entire lemonade album by Beyoncé lol! But when I get tired of it sooner or later I will get back to my jazz music, Ella Fitzgerald, some blues by Etta James, some kompa by Carimi, or Zin cause I love Alan Cave and "Se pa pou dat" is my all time favorite album from that group! Sometimes some trap music lol mostly in my car, cause I don't wanna fall a sleep when I'm driving!"

4) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Why do you think more ladies have not been able to make it in the market in terms of popularity? What’s the problem in your opinion?
FATIMA: "That's a good question! First of all it's harder for women to make it! Second, Haitians believe in what they know! Our community doesn't really give us new artists opportunities. For the popularity part, some of us women have popularity but that's it! If you can't turn the popularity into dollar bills.... you don't need it! And that's what I think!

Celebrities all over the world are "Famous" because they can turn their popularity into fans, fans that can buy their music, their brands, and will come to their events which is different for us in Haiti, cause we have bigger problems which I don't wanna elaborate on! Also women in this industry are mostly hypocrites to one another, so until they realize they have to come together to put their strength together and realize that there's room for another woman to make it; We WOMEN won't ever make it because we're all talented beautiful black women!"

5) KOMPA MAGAZINE: STRONG QUOTE from you there. Can you elaborate?
“Women in this industry are mostly hypocrite to one another,so until they realize they have to come together to put their strength together and realize that there's room for another woman to make! We WOMEN won't ever make it! Cause we're all talented beautiful black women!"
FATIMA: "The quotes explain themselves. I just want women in this industry to come to their senses and help each other, instead of hating on each other which will ruin us."

6) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Do you get offended if a fan sees your BEAUTY more than your MUSICAL TALENT? You obviously are very easy on the eyes, so I imagine that you get that “You are beautiful” line quite a lot. Can your beauty be a MINUS in people seeing what you want them to see?
FATIMA: "No, I wouldn't get offended by that. They usually want my beauty tips, makeup tips, and all. And I do share those things with my fans, like when I'm trying a new facial mask I often give them the recipes, so no I wouldn't get offended by that. To me the real beauty is in the heart. You're beautiful to me, is when you can make me smile, when you can forgive, love, appreciate, and respect other people. The physical things are often after for me!"

7) KOMPA MAGAZINE: But if you are selling THE MUSIC; you do understand that that can blind your fans (especially the males) to that…with them focusing on BEAUTY instead of MUSIC. NO?
FATIMA: "True. But it also depends. I want them to focus on my music more .... I want that."

8) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The HAITI market, is that the best market in your opinion to further your musical career; or do you think you would be further along if you lived in the States in a market like NYC or MIAMI?
FATIMA: "Like I said before I'm a world music artist, so any continents will fit me with the right staff! Haiti market is small, but we also have the diaspora who helps a lot. I would probably be further along if I lived in the U.S or probably not. I believe that God has a big plan for me, you never know."

9) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Who is FATIMA’s favorite
A) Haitian band
B) Band Vocalist
C) Solo artist
FATIMA: "A) Carimi B) Arly Larivière C) Phylissia Ross"

10) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Tell us about your latest single “DESTINEE”, and how that came about?
FATIMA: "After my first performance in Miami in December 2015, me and my manager Annie Borgard met Josh Petit Frere. He's the producer of Destine. At that time he already had the instrumental, so he invited me in the studio to record something. In 15 mns in the studio I wrote the text, and we waited until April to put it out because we wanted the perfect timing, right before Summer. I'm looking forward to keep working with Josh, he's really good."

11) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Can we expect a FULL CD anytime soon; or are you going to go the SINGLES route by dropping singles from time to time?
FATIMA: "I'm in the studio .. I'm working on a new single before I can put a date or even talk about my album. But yes I will put something out very soon!"

12) KOMPA MAGAZINE: It’s often been said by a few female artists in the past that often, when a female artist goes in the studio to work with producers; producers (Some) often are looking for SOMETHING ELSE…or MORE than just working on the task at hand. How do you plan to handle that on your end IF that threatens to pop up in the future?
FATIMA: "Well, the world is not perfect. Those situations have already popped up on me, and will continue. I just quit when that happens if the person is persistent of course. Sometimes they just do that to intimidate you!! Let's face it it's everywhere. For now I'm working with respectful people, and I respect myself enough to let them know that it's business and nothing else. One thing about me is I don't show interest if I'm not interested, so the respectful ones get that and we move forward."

13) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In the American market, certain managers or artist marketing firms prefer to present certain artists as “SINGLE”; in order to keep some sort of “DREAM” alive for the fans that their favorite artist is NOT in a relationship. Apparently it’s more appealing MARKETING WISE. Would FATIMA do the same if she is in a relationship…but HIDE IT from the public, so that it does not have any effect on how some feel about you?
FATIMA: "LOL. That depends. I was talking about that just a week ago. It depends on the kind of relationship I have with the person. I can have a private relationship without having a secret relationship... it's totally different!"

14) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Is FATIMA in a relationship, or is she single?
FATIMA: "She's in a relationship."

15) KOMPA MAGAZINE: How does a significant other of an artist handle the popularity/fame of an artist like yourself? Is it easy or hard to deal with? Is there jealousy?
FATIMA: "That depends on the artist and how she/he can handle fame. Cause at home, with family and friends I am totally a different person! I'm an artist and also a simple human being, it doesn't mean that it's easy for a man to be with me. It's not easy at all cause as an artist I can tell you sometimes I'm crazy. It's the case for every artist; doesn't matter what category you are in, painting, poetry, writer whatever. WE'RE ALL CRAZY SOMETIMES! It takes a strong Man/Woman to be in a relationship with an artist. Sometimes there's jealousy, there's trust issues, but when there's love I mean "True love", all that are just perfect imperfections."

16) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your opinion…Name the 3 most popular FEMALE SOLO ARTISTS IN HAITI right now from the crop that’s coming up.
FATIMA: "Rutshelle, Darline, QueenB."

17) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Is the new generation in Haiti exposed more to FOREIGN MUSIC more than HAITIAN MUSIC in your opinion or no? Are we as a nation losing the CULTURE battle in terms of the youth…musically speaking…or not? Quite a few people seem to think that the youth are listening to music from other countries MORE than our own? Where do you stand on that?
FATIMA: "The generation is more exposed to other music because the media gives them more other music! Tv's and radios promote the international music more than our own! Sometimes I get even mad! The radios will have singles and album of international artists right after they put them out! They illegally download them on the Internet or buy them! But they don't do all that for the Haitian music industry; as a matter of fact some of them will ask you to pay for them to play your music, when they know you don't really sell your music! But hopefully some of them are not like that.

I wouldn't say that we are losing our culture musically speaking, as a matter of fact we need to add new things to it! Music is an unlimited world. That's why my TV Show is called culture lakay. It's my own way to promote our music, videos, and upcoming Artists who need a platform and more options."

18) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Are you FOR or AGAINST abortion? Tell us where you stand and why?
FATIMA: "I believe in human right! I'm pro Choice! Everyone has the right to do whatever they want as long it doesn't bother others. I will say that anybody has their own beliefs and choices. I'm neither for it or against it."

19) KOMPA MAGAZINE: To end it....The 3 WORDS that best describes FATIMA?
FATIMA: "Courageous. Kind. Hard working."

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

MUSIC