KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

*2007 "NEW GROUP" KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD WINNER IS..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARDS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: *2007 "NEW GROUP" KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD WINNER IS.. Reply with quote Back to top

*PART 1 is a short resume from us about what went down

*PART 2 shows you the number of votes + WHO voted for them on the 55 Member panel.

*PART 3 are some of the QUOTES from members of our panel FOR THAT CATEGORY.

The award goes to GABEL

ANALYSIS:
*This was a very tough race between GABEL and DOLA. DOLA had the votes of some major HMI players as you can see in the breakdown below, but what gave the nod to GABEL at the end according to most members of the panel, is the fact that they were ACTIVE by playing often, and also by constantly staying visible on the internet. It's very clear that if DOLA had made a little bit more effort in the gig department, they could have been awarded this honor, however GABEL wins.

*VOTE BREAKDOWN

1) GABEL 22 Votes
Mac D, Foolish Brothers, Tropidisc, Kaliko, Kensy, Ralph Conde, Erly Nu Vice, Wilson Hangout, Pipo, Ralph Menelas, Fritz Bonheur,Shadine HIPMAG, Papillon, Reshka, Stephane Gilles, Lionel Beeper, Rulx Galamix, Roro Irene, Noel Records, Billy The Kid, AJ & M/Atlanta Promoter, Bertho/Zenith Production

2) DOLA 20 Votes
Ti Lunet, Shedly Abraham, Alex Thebaud, Frero Hangout, Katalog, Richie, Prince Ello, Theo Kreyol La, Ti Joe Zenny, Fabrice Rouzier, Elie Lapointe, Junior Vaval, Nandy Konparezon, DJ Superduke, Roberto Martino, Glasses Takeover, Papa Jube, Carel Pedre Spotlight/Radio1, Dave Black Parents.

3) NOMADS 6 Votes
Richard Nemorin, Stanley Carimi, Carlo Vieux, Mia Lopez Kebreau, Kepy Records, Ti Lionel Benjamin

4) BACKUP 5 Votes
Junior Hangout, Olivier Duret/TVice, Alan Cave, Nickenson Prudhomme, Jensen Desrosiers

5) FASIL 1 Vote
Ti Regi Djakout

PS: KENNY DESMANGLES chose NOT to vote in this category.

*QUOTES (Some Quotes from our panel members)

+FABRICE ROUZIER: "New Group > It's a very hard one because 4 of these bands really deserve the #1 spot. I'll have to go with DOLA because they really worked harder at it than the others in the category and they have probably the most original KONPA cd of the year."

+STEPHANE GILLES: "For New Group i would have to pick Gabel. I think they play very well for a new band. I've seen them several times & i'm always impressed. Musically, they are very disciplined."

+TI LUNET/GABEL: DOLA's cd depasse Compas Direct la. The only issue is yo ekate yo de son La Rue a. The cd lacks the son la ri sound.

+RALPH CONDE: "The fact that GABEL is constantly booked scored big points for them in my eyes for this award."

+WILSON HANGOUT: "GABEL toujou programme. They are always active."

+ERLY NU VICE: "GABEL's cd is tight."

+RICHIE: "DOLA is just on some other musical level than the others in the category."

+ALAN CAVE: "I just did a tour with them down in Haiti. It's only a matter of time before BACKUP blows up."

+NICKENSON: "BACKUP plays extremely well and they have NANCY who is also very good at what she does, and also adds an extra mix in there."

+PRINCE ELLO: "DOLA has an extremely good cd. It's been awhile since a cd like that has hit the hmi."

+PIPO: "GABEL simply has to be awarded for all the hard work that they've done for 2007."

+FRITZ BONHEUR: "In terms of promotion, they did an excellent job."

+DJ SUPERDUKE: "Best New group to me would have to be Dola for their wonderfull marketing in the Northeast and an Excelent diverse yet innovative album."

+PAPA JUBE: "I am going to have to go with "DOLA" I feel that they have
a solid album, great talent and they seem to have some momentum as a new group."

+ELIE LAPOINTE: "Dola ! why? because i think they're album is really well produced and they are also trying to be available to the public eye as often as possible."

+SHADINE MENARD/HIP Magazine: "Musically, I rather the Nomads, but OVERALL I think Gabel wins this category. They have talent, play good music and really started making a buzz."

+TI LIONEL/KREZI co-manager: "I choose Nomads. Unfortunately i haven't heard them live yet but they are the ones with a different sound and i think that's what the industry is looking for is different and original, i think they have it."

+MIA LOPEZ/Mia Media/Sakapfet.com: "Though Gabel and Dola have made significant efforts at Marketing and Promotions - I believe that Nomads has crossed barriers and are doing amazing in the Antilles market and their quality of work as far as video's and their album is up there."

+PAPILLON: "GABEL plays more, they have more fans, and they have better marketting."

+GLASSES/TAKEover: "DOLA has more experience + I like what they are doing.

+RESHKA/FOS BARON Festival: "GABEL has a bigger fan base and they are superior at marketting themselves."

+LIONEL BEEPER: "GABEL plays a lot more, and they promote themselves better."

+RULX JEROME/GALAMIX: "GABEL does work that other bands don't do"

+RORO IRENE/Nu Look: "For a group that just came out, Yo fe anpil bri. Plus their cd is good."

+PERRY/KEPY RECORDS: " I think NOMADS put out a REALLY good album that caters not only to the Haitian Community but their album can also be considered a very "world beat" appealing type of product. Presentation was a huge plus. Their album could of been sitting on the shelf at Best Buy next to any other album and hold it's own in terms of packaging and presentation. They also traveled abroad a little more, mostly the Antilles but compared to the other names listed, they have conquered a wider range in terms of territory. I think they do need to promote the band some more in the US though."

PANEL MEMBERS FOR 2007 KOMPA MAGAZINE MUSIC AWARDS WERE:

1) FABRICE ROUZIER (Mizik Mizik)
2) RICHIE (Zenglen)
3) ALAN CAVE (Zin)
4) ROBERTO MARTINO (T-Vice)
5) CARLO VIEUX (Carimi)

6) TI JOE ZENNY (Kreyol La)
7) SHEDLY ABRAHAM (Djazz La)
Cool TI MICHEL/TROPIDISC (Producer)
9) RALPH CONDE
10) KENSY PRODUCTION (HMI Promoter)

11) NICKENSON PRUDHOMME
12) THEO JADOTTE (Kreyol La)
13) TI LUNET (Maestro for Gabel)
14) FOOLISH BROTHERS/RONY (HMI Promoter)
15) FRITZ BONHEUR (Popular Sound Engineer/Manager for Beljaz)

16) PAPA JUBE (SOBS/SAK PASSE RECORDS)
17) KATALOG (Singer for Gabel)
1Cool GLASSES (Takeover Entertainment/HMI Promoter)
19) CAREL PEDRE (RADIO 1 in Haiti/SPOTLIGHT Magazine)
20) BLACK PARENTS DAVE

21) TI REGI (Djakout)
22) RALPH MENELAS (Beljaz)
23) PRINCE ELLO (Poze)
24) STANLEY CARIMI (Drummer)
25) WILSON (HANGOUT drummer)

26) KENNY DESMANGLES
27) PIPO
2Cool OLIVIER DURET (T-Vice)
29) DJ REY (Didi Santana manager/HMI PR)
30) RICHARD NEMORIN (Wow/Groov La fame)

31) MIA LOPEZ (Mia Media/Sakapfet.com)
32) ALEX THEBAUD (Carimi)
33) ERLY (Nu Vice)
34) AJ & M (Number 1 HMI promoter in ATLANTA)
35) BILLY THE KID (Respected HMI musician/Gigger)

36) FRERO (Hangout)
37) RORO IRENE (NU LOOK gongist)
3Cool REHKA (HMI Promoter/FOS BARON FESTIVAL in New York)
39) NOEL RECORDS/JACQUES NOEL (Noel/Cecibon record store in Miami)
40) DJ SUPERDUKE (BELMIZIK FM/Popular Boston HMI DJ)

41) KALIKO (INDYFEST Festival in Miami/Producer/Promoter)
42) ELIE LAPOINTE (Djakout)
43) KEPY RECORDS/PERRY (HMI Record Label BELO/DJAZZ LA)
44) SHADINE MENARD (HIP MAGAZINE)
45) MAC D. (Former KDANS vocalist)

46) TI LIONEL BENJAMIN (KREZI co-manager)
47) JUNIOR VAVAL (Prominent HMI radio host and MC)
4Cool PAPILLON
49) NANDY GEORGES (KONPAREZON and HMI promoter/Representative)
50) STEPHANES GILLES (Sweet Micky/Groov La fame)

51) RULX JEROME (Galamix store/Promoter/Manager for Hangout)
52) LIONEL BEEPER (Record store/Producer)
53) JENSEN DESROSIERS (Phantoms leader/drummer)
54) BERTHO/ZENITH Promotions (HMI Promoter)
55) JUNIOR (HANGOUT keyboards)

PS: They were NOT allowed to vote for themselves or their bands. ONLY when 2 MEMBERS OF THEIR BANDS WERE NOMINATED in the same category were members given the option to vote for ONE pick.

Last edited by kompamagazine on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

radiocitadelle2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to Gabel.. they Deserved it... keep up the good work..

I haven't been to Gabel yet.. but i have few lives from them...

wish ya 'll luck. Cool Cool

neg_okap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yon djazz ki fe ti gig li nan Florida only--Gabel
yon Djazz ki genyen youn nan pi bel album last year--Dola
I'll pick Dola anytime. Cool

MONEY INC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i like gabel better than dola

Arly Nu Look Gro Djazz Devan L'eternel

KREYOL-LA 100% LIVE NO MPC>EPI 10.000.000% TALENT

kompared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to all GABEL musicians and COULEUR/KYAFA ENT..!!
Hard work pays off...!!! Very Happy
KIMBE LA..... Very Happy Very Happy

FANMKONESE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrat bel ti album ...but semble li on ti jean ap IMPOSSIBLE POU YO SOTI NAN TI TROU SA IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU KNOW AND I KNOW Laughing ........Why band nan pa ka soti nan trou li ye an.....Pou on band ki guen one year....ak on bon ti album yo ta DWE FAR....

Anyway I hope GABEL ALLE COTE NU LOOK MACHE AN POU LI KA PRAN KAP LI RAPIDO PRESTO Cool Cool ....GABEL IL FAUT LE FAIR......TI KI LI KI'W NEEDS TO BE ON POINT Laughing Laughing

--Winston Churchill

naturellecreole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

congrats to Gabel but personally I will go with dola, their cd did it for me, well done and their kompa is excellent

Matekonpa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CONGRATS GABEL! KATALOG U DID IT BRO! Laughing

Madan Mika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to Gabel and Dola...
Since Gabel plays more then Dola Well, I guess they do deserve it...

MADAN MIKA
BACK ON KM
NO MORE BORING DAYS

XXplosive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i like what Gabel is doing as a new band. They stay on the news, play quite a few gigs, they are doing a great job. Hope they keep the momentum alive and be successful in their next album. Congrats Gabel.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARDS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: