KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

2007 BREAKTHROUGH KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD GOES TO.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARDS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DR MIZIK

I don't think the panel based their picks only from bals.
DOLA came very close to getting the NEW BAND OF THE YEAR, and we know for the better part of 2007, they were not serious players on the bal scene. That's just one of a few examples that I can bring up.

I also think that the 55 Member panel DO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE BUSINESS in terms of NOT just bals, but other areas of the business as well.

KM!

Dr.Mizik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat,
Thanks, for replying

Let me clarify a few things before proceeding. Reading between the lines, I sensed that you have made a few assumptions that I would call ambiguous, or maybe erroneous. Pat, I will not gain anything by bashing the artists or the judges nor will you gain anything by defending them. I'm not assuming that you are defending them, but I just thought I would say it to get out of the way. We are both trying to get this thing right and make sure the truly deserving artists are recognized. Critics or suggestions will only make it better next year for me, for you, for the judges, the artists, and KM.

Pat, I was not trying to discredit everything or all the decisions of the judges on the panel. They did a great job with all the other categories. I was amazed by their work and I respect all of them, but they are still human. I have some issues with " the breakthrough artist of the year" and I would like to keep the discussion to this specific category.

Your first statement
Quote:
I don't think the panel based their picks only from bals.
DOLA came very close to getting the NEW BAND OF THE YEAR, and we know for the better part of 2007, they were not serious players on the bal scene. That's just one of a few examples that I can bring up

I understand and I agree with this statement, but it does not have anything do with the category that is on trial, ei "breakthrough artist of the year". You are right, they did not make all their decisions based on Bal. It is even impossible for them to have entertained this idea and I would be a fool to say that they have made all their decisions based on bal.

If you were trying to use their credits on the other categories to show they could not have erred anywhere else, Pat I think you are wrong. You stated and I quote " ....that is one argument that you can bring". There is no need to bring other arguments, if they do not pertain to this specific category. I'm sure you can tell me that they got Belo right, but sorry, that has nothing to do with this category.

Your second statement...
Quote:
I also think that the 55 Member panel DO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE BUSINESS in terms of NOT just bals, but other areas of the business as well

Yes, Pat, you are right. I commend you on the choice of the judges and the number of judges. With 55 judges, you pretty much eliminated the possibility of having a random event. Yes, they know what is going on in many areas of the industry. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART, Pat, what they know has to be available and easily accessible to the public. If it is not, it cannot be used to select the breakthrough artist of the year. If, for an example, Fabrice had a "Jam session" with "Kenny and Zenglen" and felt that Kenny was awesome, he cannot use that to vote for Kenny. He should only vote for kenny if the public has access to kenny's material. If Mia assisted one of T-vice's private rehearsals and saw Olivier singing 3 songs, she can't used it to vote for him. As far as the general public is concerned, Olivier has not done much yet to be considered breakthrough artist of the year.

Pat, I do a little bit more than the average Haitian to get my hands on the latest movie, latest CD, and to hear the newest artist or member of an established band. I buy Cds and DVDs from 4 different stores to make sure that I don't miss anything worth having. I average 2 new Cds per month. Pat, I have only heard one song from Kenny since he joined Zenglen "O.F.F", and I probably would not have heard it if it was not for KM. The last zenglen’s DVD (Zenglen live a Paris) that I bought has performance with Gracia, Frero and Reginald. Pat if nominating and even electing Kenny breakthrough artist of the year was not purely based on bal, I wonder what it is that I missed. And please tell me, I will go get it today.

I can write a book about the Olivier's effect or optical illusion, but I do not want to be too long. I have already written too much, I think. However, I would like to spend a day with all the judges who voted for Olivier and listen to the following items with them;

- Kite'm Viv ( the studio version)
- Kite'm viv ( the live version)
- Watch Kite'm viv ( the music video)
- Watch " j'aimerais te revoir"
- The 8th annual Haitian Compas Festival DVDs
- As a bonus Watch the two DVD's ( Tvice Vs carimi) Spectacle au club dome ( Montreal, Canada)

And then, make them show me where and how Olivier has "..Stepped up the game"; ".... taken T-vice to another level"; " .... Had the most impact in this category...." ect... AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF THAT THEY WROTE

Sincerely,
Dr.Mizik

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARDS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: