KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

**NEXT HMI STAR 1: LISTEN TO THE SONGS/ARTISTS & VOTE!**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> NEXT HMI STAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vava

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK, SO THIS WAS NOT EASY @ ALL... EVERYONE DID A WONDERFUL JOB, UNFORTUNATELY NOT ALL CAN GO THROUGH THE NEXT ROUND Wink

1) K-MISTRY: "POU LA VIE" GOOD JOB, GUYS CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU.

3) ANGELO: "COMPETION" THERE'S SOMETHING THERE, WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE BEHIND HIM, HE CAN DO REALLY WELL.

4) PAOLA: "MWEN INME'W" REPRESENT FOR THE LADIES, NEED SOME WORK BUT THERE'S POTENTIAL

2)FABRICE FOMBRUN "JOU MA MERITE'L" WOW, I WANNA HEAR MORE FROM HIM, I'LL KEEP MY EAR OPEN FOR HIM

5) BNICE "IN THE CLUB" REALLY LIKE THIS SONG, NICE VOCAL, NICE FLOW, THIS SONG CAN GET U MOVING. BUT HE NEEDS TO TONE HIS VOICE DOWN A BIT, SOMETIMES IT FEELS TO FORCED. Wink Wink

I WISH EVERYONE LUCK & THANKS PAT AGAIN FOR THIS WONDERFUL INIATIVE. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE FINAL RESULT & WHAT THE OUTCOME.

THE ONES WHO DIDN'T MAKE THIS CUT, KEEP ON WORKING HARD & GET READY FOR THE NEXT ONE.
GOOD LUCK ALL
Very Happy

DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Comments on SOME of the SONGS

K-Mistry - They have a COMMERCIAL sound. That keyboard is very good. They know what works. They just need to sound more professional. They need better mixing. They did okay for amateurs.

Score 6.5

VALERY PRECILIEN "Chagrin Lanmou" - The INTRO is HORRIBLE.

So HORRIBLE.

Nothing stood out in the song. It sounded like it was created in a half of day while sitting on a toilet.

Score 2.5

WILL DREY featuring Mylah "Puppy Love" - Why?

Why was this even done?

Score 1

SARAH JANE RAMEAU "The Miss U Song" - Dont disrespect to this young lady. But I dont understand why there is fuss surrounding this song. Hmm I dont see or hear it.

Score 3

ROSEMAY "YOU'RE My Baby" - The MUSIC to the song is actually very good and has potential. I mean the MUSIC has a great vibe and very commecial.

But the lyrics are VERY VERY poor.

The singer needs direction. But what is funny, I like this song better than "The Miss U Song".

Score 5.5

MODERNSOUND "Instrumental" - The BEAT is empty.

It's lack this guy forgot to work on the rest.

Score 0.5

MELODI "Sa Fe'm Mal" - The beat is a LITTLE TOO BUSY for me. Sometimes in the song there is too much going on. For instance the BASS and KICK is too high.

But the CHORUS is very very good. I had to rewind it. I like how they like harmonized the chorus. This group has POTENTIAL. This song has potential with more work.

So far this is FIRST track and group, where I feel this GROUP can take it to the NEXT LEVEL.

So far I have not heard that from anyone yet.

Score 7

ANDY SEXY & KLOZ "Gizele" - I like the MUSIC in this song. I think the singer's VOICE is commercial in the sense that its weird. Sorta like in a Akon or T-Pain way.

Score 6

MICHELLE THELAMOUR "Source La - Very nice voice and good production too. The women have impressed me a lot in this contest.

Score 4

Notes:
1. TOO MANY SLOW tracks from the contestants. I think if a BAND would have came with a HOT konpa direk song, it could have BLOWN everyone out of the water and they would have STOOD OUT.

2. If I didnt mention your song it could be for various reasons:
a. YOUR SONG SUCKED bad.
b. You actually have talent but I dont think the HMI is for you. Your song is not marketable in the HMI.
c. For some reason, you just didnt stand out.

MY FINAL VOTES

1. MELODI "Sa Fe'm Mal"
2. K-Mistry
3. ANDY SEXY & KLOZ "Gizele"
4. ROSEMAY "YOU'RE My Baby"
5. MICHELLE THELAMOUR "Source La

Melfanatik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Top 6!

Fabrice Fombrun : The slow/mid tempo love songs can get old rather quickly with exasperating lyrics and descants, fortunately with “Jou Ma Merite’l”, an exceptionally soulful and well-written ballad, Fabrice sidesteps the humdrum and delivers minimalist yet captivating melodies and stanzas.

Detay’s Assure’m is an excellent and unforgettable piece of music; mature, clean, and classic.

K-mistry is a band that possesses all the elements to enter the HMI in its current state, “Pou la Vie” is amazing, but sounds extremely familiar. If you are someone who thoroughly enjoys the typical kompa band sound, this is for you. If this band wants to be in the music business, they will need to sit down and draft their identity because talent is not lacking and I would hate for it to be wasted sounding like what we’ve been hearing for the past decade.

Method: Jardin Verite is an excellent song. Nice beat and you can definitely dance to it. The singer sings on key and does not strain, he sings clearly and articulately. The chorus/hook is very easy to remember. Jardin Verite would have fallen in the same category of K-Mistry had it not been for the singer’s voice, the bolded sentences above still apply.

I never thought a Haitian hip-hop song would make it to my top 6, but here I am with “Bek Fen” by Tony Poze. While the hook could use better singing, this one gets it right and succeeds.

WILL DREY featuring Mylah "Puppy Love": A very modern American hip-hop/R&B styled song, along the lines of T.I., Lil Wayne, Rihanna et al. Mylah is very impressive and delivers well. The rapper does, however, rap with an accent I am not sure how that would cross over. It is a good representation musically of what is popular out there.

The Others

ANDY SEXY & KLOZ "Gizele" The music is very good, the flow is steady. Instrumentals sound very clean, although I am not sure whether the lead singer is actually singing on key sometimes. This is however a great song to dance to. The singing sounds much better when the entire band is at it. If they were going to auto-tune this song, they should have done it the all the way through.

Hypnotik “Fanm Sa”: Love the lyrics when he is singing in Kreyol. I actually hate it when Haitian Compas singers sing in English with an accent. That is a personal hang up of mine. There is a part on the song where the keyboard or whatever it is almost sounds like it's off beat. The hook of this song, however, is AWESOME. The music is good but I’m not crazy about the ad lib over the song.

UNIT KREYOL LA’s rapping in Konsey Pratik is top notch, the production does minimal justice to the songs and lyrics, but these guys sound very advanced in their craft, they just need quality production to complement their talent.

Perri Pierre “Gratis” Personally, I have never liked songs whose lyrics contain half of the local and chain restaurants and other famous Haitian fruits and platters, but I do like the hook even more so because the sentiments are present. Side: Please no more siromiel caramel…

Sarah Jane Rameu’s Miss You Song I admire and respect the concept of this piece. I like how they incorporate the lyrics within. That being said, the length of a song is crucial to its success and how the public consumes it; a short song is not an issue, but one that is fragmentary does create problem and may diminish one’s abilities to appreciate it.

CHILLYSTAR "Prophecy" made the cut because I felt like the message was sincere, the rappers take their words seriously however the application (Re:music) is flat and sounds a bit amateurish. The second rapper’s voice is more forceful and takes the song to another level. What Prophecy might need is a better and more polished beat.

Oxygenbox band: Mix a reggae tune with rock guitars and you get “Lonely”, the melody of the song is refreshing and begging to be delivered by an amazing vocalist which the singer is not. The singing, actually, hindered my ability to appreciate the song. The guitar solo is, nevertheless, marvelous.

Marc Menard "Viens Chante": This song is a could-have-been and it wasn’t, the singer’s voice leaves a lot to be desired and when I was getting ready to soften up at this song, the “Everything’s gonna be alright” part just sent me over the edge.

Angelo: Is “Competition” a history of Compas? Apparently it is. I find the lyrics distracting. If I were trying to dance to this song, the lyrics would distract me. The music is heavy synthesizers; I can barely hear the bass or guitar. I am not even sure there is an actual live guitar or a synthesizer mimicking a guitar, that along can't be a good thing. The singer has a good voice. I am not sure there is anything special about the song. It doesn't really pick up until the end.

ROSEMAY "YOU'RE My Baby": Rosemay’s voice is very processed and that is a distraction. The music is a nice change of pace, a little faster then what we have been hearing. But as a whole the song lacks a LOT, it doesn't have any sense of punch or power. The hook tries but when she starts singing, that processed sound it turns me off and it does little to hide her vocal weaknesses.

TYRORO "Vire Gade'm" does not sound professional and therefore needs a lot of work, it sounds like Tyroro is singing into Styrofoam cup and that along affected my ability to listen and enjoy it.

VALERY PRECILIEN "Chagrin Lanmou" is dramatic, way too dramatic; the music is not bad, I like the background singing, but the ad libs made me want to punch someone. This isn’t a bad song, but it needs a lot of work.

Package “Going out”: The beginning of the song sounds like the troubled lovechild of Top Adlerman with some angry rapper wannabe somewhere and they’ll both be fighting for custody soon. The lyrics are just too amateurish, if there is a man out there that needs someone to tell to take their wife/gf out in such elementary format, they probably should not have a partner in the first place. If Package wants to have a serious career, they need to retire this song as soon as possible.

I don’t usually review songs from different artists and bands because it takes me a while before most songs get to me (some never do), however I was generally very impressed with the level of talent and know-how certain contestants demonstrated. The plan was to originally review all songs, but I let the songs spoke to me (for better or for worse) and some, unfortunately, did not. Giving constructive criticism is as tough as receiving it, that is the reason why I selected my choices carefully.

Some notes
- Singing is a God-given talent and not everyone has been blessed with it
- The music business is not for everyone
- You’ll be criticized from the day you enter this business till forever, learn how to deal with that beforehand.
- Production can make or break a song, paying a top producer that can work with your style and improve it is not a splurge, but an indispensable investment.
- Have an identity, you are already unique; use that to your advantage. Not everyone will like you when you sound different, but they will at least respect that you do.

I want to thank all of you for blessing us with their talent and having the courage to put yourself out there, which is never an easy task nor will it ever be. I do respect your courage for taking the risk and hopefully accepting all the criticisms you have been given. I hope this isn’t the last I’m hearing from you all and best of luck to everyone.

tripplej19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My top choices are:

K-mistry

Fabrice F

Sarah Jane

Tyroro

Melodi

Good luck to the other contesters!

diSip #1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My top 5 is.........

35. Will Drey feat. Mylah "Puppy Love"
25. Paola "Men Inme'w"
15. J-Legacy "Chanjman"
19. Metod "Jardin Verite"
13. Gues "Leve Wale"

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: SPECIAL THANKS! Reply with quote Back to top

We wanted to take the time to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of the members who responded to this, especially the ones who actually took the time to express WHY they liked or did not like a particular song or songs. It is very helpful when constructive criticism is given. Special thank you to all the contestants as well. We can safely say that there is potential talent out there.

WE WILL ADD UP THE POINTS from the KM MEMBERS votes, and then we move it to ROUND 2 when we drop the HMI CELEBRITY JUDGES' scores. The HMI CELEBRITY JUDGES will be revealed as we drop their scorecards along with their comments and picks for the first edition of the NEXT HMI STAR.

I send a very special THANK YOU to all of you who showed by responding that you are "FOR" POSITIVE MOVEMENT in this business, and with this contest, we aim to achieve that goal.

THANKS AGAIN.....STAY TUNED FOR MORE info on THURSDAY January 6th (Today)!

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THE CONTEST IS NOT OVER as we will give you the FINAL RESULTS after the HMI CELEBRITY JUDGES picks are posted later on today. We will then ADD THEIR POINTS on top of the ROUND 1 RESULT (Posted Below).

Before we reveal the JUDGES' scorecards.....THIS IS WHERE WE STAND "RIGHT NOW" after ROUND 1.

1) FABRICE FOMBRUM 212 Points

2) K-MISTRY 171 Points

3) MELODI 119 Points

4) SARAH JANE RAMEAU 104 Points

5) ANGELO 102 Points

6) PAOLA 81 Points

7) METOD 73 Points

Cool CED 70 Points

9) VALERY PRECILIEN 63 Points

10) PEGGY PIERRE 52 Points

11) TI MOUN A ZION 40 Points

12) GUES 31 Points

13) BNICE 28 Points

14) DETAY 27 Points

15) TIGGER ONE 25 Points

16) ROSEMAY 19 Points

17) BOKANTO & TYRORO (tied) 17 Points

19) DE-OD, WILL DREY, UNIT KREYOL LA (Tied) 15 Points

22) J-LEGACY, TONY POZE (tied) 12 Points

24) ANDY SEXY & KLOZ 10 Points

25) HYPNOTIK 7 Points

26) MICHELLE THELAMOUR 6 Points

27) MPJ 5 Points

2Cool G-FARO, YOUNGCAST, MODERNSOUND, MARC MENARD (Tied) 3 Points

PS: CARL DENARD, CHILLYSTAR, DOUBLE J & JAYNAR, OXYGENBOX BAND, PACKAGE.....0 POINTS

STAY TUNED for THE HMI CELEBRITY JUDGES SCORECARDS in ROUND 2 to ADD to the ones here.

kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NEXT HMI STAR 1 final results are in and we say CONGRATULATIONS to FABRICE FOMBRUM as the inaugural winner of the contest.

Fabrice seemed to be a very popular choice for the the HMI CELEBRITY JUDGES, he made it on 6 out of the 13 scorecards, and as far as the KM Members that voted as he made the list of 19 out of 34 KM Members' list.

Below is the FINAL RESULTS for NEXT HMI STAR 1! Notes will follow later on.

NEXT HMI STAR 1 FINAL RESULTS

*1) FABRICE FOMBRUM (327 Total Points)
212 points from KM Members/115 points from Judges

***THE WINNING SONG*** (Click on the link below)
http://kmjukebox.com/hmistar/hmistarfabricefombrum.mp3

*2) MELODI (204 Points)
119 points from KM Members/85 Points from Judges

*3) K-MISTRY (201 Points)
171 points from KM Members/30 Points from Judges

*4) SARAH JANE RAMEAU (199 Points)
104 points from KM Members/95 Points from Judges

*5) TI MOUN A ZION (120 Points)
40 points from KM Members/80 Points from Judges
(NO PICTURE SENT)

6) ANGELO (112 Points)

7) PAOLA (111 Points)

Cool METOD (73 Points)

9) CED (70 Points)

10) GUES (66 Points)

CONGRATULATIONS to all who participated.

As far as FABRICE FOMBRUM......STAY TUNED as we will let you know MORE on what he has in store coming his way + SOME OTHER CONTESTANTS caught the eyes of some major people....we'll let you know what's up with that as well.

KM!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> NEXT HMI STAR All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: