Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - First Meeting Update- Haitian Musicians Association
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

First Meeting Update- Haitian Musicians Association

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edybrisseaux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: First Meeting Update- Haitian Musicians Association Reply with quote Back to top

HMAD Meeting update.

Our first meeting went well. Of course the presidential debate affected us, but we got some work done. We have corrected the draft bylaws and vision statement, which will be resubmitted to you. We elected Rigaud Simon as the treasurer; he will report to us at our second meeting. Wherever you are in the world, please send us your suggestions and contribution to:

HMAD Inc.
P.O Box 41
Shelton, CT 06484

I believe this is a genuine initiative. The objectives remain the same. This is a musician association; all are welcomed. We meet once a month to prepare music should one of us pass, if the motherland’s head of state visits, shows that will help us collect funds to purchase our own venues, and have funds available to pay for members’ final expense, and pension plans.

The expected multigenerational conflict comes to my attention already. To the young musicians, I command you for your educational achievements. In your quest to be mainstream musicians, I wish you luck. Please do not underestimate the contribution of older Haitian musicians. Do not say that you are not going to sit next to Ti Paris because he is not a trained musician or because of his social class and education. Please be aware that members of the dominant group that you are catering to will be asking you for your own “folklore” in which they are more interested to your great surprise. Now, if you think at that moment the great spirit of Maestro Ti Paris will transcend in your playing, you got it wrong. There is a spiritual component to the music. “Ou paka ap pale lwa mal epi bwat ogatwa w byen red nan “basement” ou”; consequently, you will never be possessed by the great spirits of Konpa, Ibo, Petro, etc. if you minimize them, (déjà se chwazi pou yo chwazi w). Thus, you will end up being Ghetto-Stream rather than mainstream.

To the older musicians, I would have to say that we have failed. We submerged in a Friday-Sun BAL concept. We have never attempted to surpass our ego and think for the betterment of the whole community. We focused on solely one aspect of our music to its detriment. In short, we failed to evolve. Don’t be afraid of Pro-tools, it is not going to bite you. Stop enumerating how long you have been in the business while not having any pension plans, no plans to reform the education of music in the motherland, no plans to invest in social clubs in the Diaspora, nor a plan for a radio station. Yes, “mwen konnen nou met bel rad”. Stop these nonsense thoughts!

Our next meeting is in Three weeks. Suggest by text or email the day of the week that is most convenient to you. (203) 650-4965 or edybrisseaux@yahoo.com

ti-manmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wow
great initiative , do you have a website or a facebook page
THANKS

BoBoRi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow I was thnking about Jojo Lorquet as Treasurer hummmmm... I guess this Rigaud Simon is SHARPER than Jojo lol. I like everything else about this initiative eccept this Rigaud as Minis des finans la.
RICHIE SUPERSTAR MAKER PI RED

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: