KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

RICHIE KEEPS IT RAW ON NYC BAND PROBLEM BY BLAMING..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Mizik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pat, Richie, the promoters, and all the other artists

I don't think there is anything wrong with NY. The problem is not a NYC problem; it is a general HMI problem. Narrowing or restricting it to the NY market, the musicians, or promoters will only lead to quick fixes and partial cure, if any, that may be worst than the illness in the future. Our industry is simply not new band friendly PERIOD. It is infertile, and most of those who are barely surviving on their meager HMI salary don't believe in seeking, discovering, and promoting new band or new talent. When was the last time we had a successful or even a pseudo-successful band out of Haiti, P-au-p, Cap-Haitien, Les Cayes, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, France, Canada? For the past 10-15 years, we have only been reshuffling old talent like Gazzman, Ralph Conde, La porte, Richie, Reginald Cange, Kenny, Dano, Pipo, ect.....It is an HMI problem. We have to start tackling it the right way, if we are serious about attempting to solve it.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mizik
Please, If someone dares to call Klass or Disip new band or new talent, I will lose it.

shah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I would agree with JOUDRE. He makes a valid point. However my take on this is simple. Back then musicians used to be friends. They got together and create. Back then, musicians were doing it for the love of the ART, not financial.

Can anybody justify why a song by Tabou Combo: Mabouya still a hit song after all these years? Freres Dejean: Arrete. Skahshah: Haiti, Caroline. Those types of melodies are gone forever.

One has to be realistic as well because life is harder nowadays. No musicians want to make music all his life and have nothing to show for it.

It's so unfortunate; a band like DOLA can't find places to perform or a promoter to put them out there. I am not sure if they are arrogant but their music and sound go back to decades when the legendary musicians used to make music for a lifetime.

As far as Carimi is concerned, they are not paying the hardcore konpa but time has changed and the people that go out party in NYC have to have something that reflects this era but there is no excuse to reject what’s yours and try to emulate other culture. So sad for the NYC market. Oh well life goes on!

wpozit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

joudre wrote:
BLASPHEMOUS!! RIDICULOUS!!

I would agree with richie and all of the other fools if only and Only "ALONG never CAME DOLA"

DOLA is the smoking gun that shows that new york promoters are responsible for the death of that market!

With a banging album like "BRASE".. Orginal sound, a band with a different identity.. If the promoters did not back them up.. What makes you think theyre in it for the re establishment of that particular market?

Papa once label Dola as a bunch of arrogant crew.. Because dola knew the vaue of their priduct and would not accept to let promoters use them to get what they want!
Promoter kiunye an vle fok djaz yo peye yo pou yo mete yo nan line up!
And tout promoter nouyok tap kouri deye yon sel djaz.. Carimi..
Nan konsa tou yo fokop carimi nouyok.. Carimi plis ap kouri pou nouyok sejousi...
Yo bay carimi tout power an.. Epi carimi itilize sa pou li toupizi tout djaz ki ap eseye monte nan market la..

Se pa lot bagay.. Promoter yo ki lakoz

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dr.Mizik wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with NY. The problem is not a NYC problem; it is a general HMI problem. Narrowing or restricting it to the NY market, the musicians, or promoters will only lead to quick fixes and partial cure, if any, that may be worst than the illness in the future. Our industry is simply not new band friendly PERIOD. It is infertile, and most of those who are barely surviving on their meager HMI salary don't believe in seeking, discovering, and promoting new band or new talent. When was the last time we had a successful or even a pseudo-successful band out of Haiti, P-au-p, Cap-Haitien, Les Cayes, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, France, Canada? For the past 10-15 years, we have only been reshuffling old talent like Gazzman, Ralph Conde, La porte, Richie, Reginald Cange, Kenny, Dano, Pipo, ect.....It is an HMI problem. We have to start tackling it the right way, if we are serious about attempting to solve it.

Sincerely,
Dr. Mizik
Please, If someone dares to call Klass or Disip new band or new talent, I will lose it.

So true.... e se pa talan ki pa genyen.

yanvaloo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dr.Mizik wrote:

Sincerely,
Dr. Mizik

Bingo here ..

maybe we should add .. there is no promoter that willl or able to take the risk or trying ...unless there is return.

There isn't much around here in NY anymore .. and can't blame them either (few are affiliate)

They have to make their bucks and get out quick .

Florida still a few left but that will come soon the way i see it .

So it's not just NY rest will follow (my Oppinion sooner or later )

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yanvaloo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shah wrote:
I don't think I would agree with JOUDRE. He makes a valid point. However my take on this is simple. Back then musicians used to be friends. They got together and create. Back then, musicians were doing it for the love of the ART, not financial.

Can anybody justify why a song by Tabou Combo: Mabouya still a hit song after all these years? Freres Dejean: Arrete. Skahshah: Haiti, Caroline. Those types of melodies are gone forever.

One has to be realistic as well because life is harder nowadays. No musicians want to make music all his life and have nothing to show for it.

It's so unfortunate; a band like DOLA can't find places to perform or a promoter to put them out there. I am not sure if they are arrogant but their music and sound go back to decades when the legendary musicians used to make music for a lifetime.

As far as Carimi is concerned, they are not paying the hardcore konpa but time has changed and the people that go out party in NYC have to have something that reflects this era but there is no excuse to reject what’s yours and try to emulate other culture. So sad for the NYC market. Oh well life goes on!

Shah not going to Disagree with you here .. but i do have 2 questions for you.. it's just me trying to understand what you saying ...

Do like or kind agree with your CARIMI part but at the sametime .. do you blame them ? it's working for them so they find a formula to make it work for them or the youth ..although it's not the compa with love.

Do you blame them ?

Dola part ...it was a nice album .. but at the sametime why did they leave for others to take care of it... ?
to be honest and blunt at the time the did come out they had people working for them and had a plan and it did fall flat ... do you know why ?

well the arogant bit was part of it a bit cocky at time .. and did push away or was a not into listening since they had their plan .. it just fell flat .
but never had a plan B.
a place to perform you ask about them.. there was the one .. we not here
to play every weekend at Brasserie ect .. that did turnoff lots of peeps ..

did they make a mistake ?

those are stuff i never forgot ... beside others bt can you reflect on those 2 here? Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: