Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - NEWS UPDATE: CHANGE OF POSITION ON IHRC
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

NEWS UPDATE: CHANGE OF POSITION ON IHRC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: NEWS UPDATE: CHANGE OF POSITION ON IHRC Reply with quote Back to top

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- The new Haitian government said late Wednesday it wants to discuss ways to improve an earthquake reconstruction commission co-chaired by former U.S. President Bill Clinton, backing off an earlier statement from the businessman nominated to be prime minister that the much-criticized commission should be scrapped.

The office of newly elected President Michel Martelly issued a statement insisting he and the prime minister nominee, Daniel-Gerard Rouzier, are "very open and willing to begin discussions" with Clinton and the international community about the commission to "make it more efficient" as its members seek to rebuild Haiti from the devastating 2010 earthquake.
APTOPIX Haiti Earthquake
AP Photo - A woman gathers her belongings after being evicted from a camp for those displaced by the 2010 earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Wednesday, May 25, 2011. City authorities are removing the camp in what they describe as an attempt to clean the area, without offering any resettlement options to residents, according to municipal authorities.
CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

Earlier, Rouzier told The Associated Press that the 27-member commission was "dysfunctional" and should be replaced by a government reconstruction agency.

"What I can tell you is that the (commission) as it exists today will not continue," Rouzier said in a videotaped interview with the AP. "I don't mean to crucify the people who came up with the concept. But sometimes when something doesn't work you have to fix it."

Rouzier, who has never before held public office, was nominated by Martelly to be prime minister. But he must be confirmed by the Senate, which is controlled by the opposition and where there is deep resentment over the foreign-controlled commission.

International donors insisted on the creation of the commission to manage the multibillion-dollar reconstruction after the earthquake because they wanted assurances that the process would be orderly and free of the corruption that has long plagued Haiti. But it has been criticized for slow progress. It includes representatives of the U.S. government, France, Japan and other members of the international community that have contributed the most toward rebuilding Haiti.

In the AP interview, Rouzier did not provide details of his proposal for a new reconstruction agency. But he said it would be more responsive to the needs of the Haitian people and still accountable to international donors.

He said he hoped Clinton, a special U.N. envoy to Haiti who has made many trips to the country to preside over commission meetings, would remain active in reconstruction from the January 2010 earthquake, which the government says killed more than 300,000 people as it left much of the capital in ruins.

"When you have someone of Clinton's caliber - this is a man of tremendous vision ... we have to pick his brain and make sure that we have the right strategy," Rouzier said.

The former U.S. president did not respond to requests for comment.

Commission spokeswoman Florence St-Leger Liautaud defended the panel's record, issuing a statement saying it has approved 87 projects that are "already benefiting thousands of Haitian families." She said the commission will "continue to work, in close coordination with the Government of Haiti, donors, (aid groups) and the private sector ... until further decisions are made by the Haitian Government and Parliament."

Clinton has been co-chairman of the commission along with Jean-Max Bellerive, the outgoing Haitian prime minister. They have presided over long meetings to discuss the details of proposals to clear rubble, build housing and try to create jobs in a country that had severe problems long before the earthquake.

The commission has approved projects that would require $3.2 billion in funding but Haiti does not yet have all the money and many people have complained about the lack of apparent progress.

A recent report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office criticized the commission for delays in hiring staff and a lack of transparency and for not meeting reconstruction goals.

The commission's mandate is scheduled to end in October but it could be renewed by the Haitian government.

Rouzier, ran a family-owned car dealership in Haiti and was a power company executive before he was nominated to be prime minister by Martelly. His criticism of the commission plays into long-standing resentment of foreign influence in Haiti and could help in his confirmation vote.

Joseph Lambert, a senator and coordinator of the Unity political party, which has a majority in the Senate, predicted that Rouzier would likely be approved.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/05/25/1573740/apnewsbreak-new-pm-would-end-haiti.html#ixzz1NTG2Qn2O

Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This could be good news don't know but they won't fire Clinton after all I guess.

That could change tomorrow.

All I ask of this new government, please don't make no specific policy decisions until you folks have a good understanding of the lay of the land before making comments like these. Make general comments until you thoroughly understand the field.

This government cannot fail please my goodness.

daphnee

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a retraction to me. My question is what train of thought would allow for a possible Prime Minister to make those statements? There will be some subtle ramifications for that interview that Rouzier granted. He can say that it was miscontrued but if I were President Clinton and the other dignitaries I would be a bit weary of this current government's intentions at this point. (my deux centimes)

President Martelly has to be more careful with these kind of things.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Daph

What is puzzling for me is Rouzier is not a dumb man? Quite educated if you asked me. I got a couple of rumors as to why these comments were made but sorry say there from personal sources and not articles sorry for those who want articles, but it could have been a case of good ideas gone rampant. Meaning he spoke to early on topics he really does not have a total grasp on. It happens sometimes but this is politics and you gotta be careful what you say or do.

daphnee

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just had a chance to read everything today and At first I was bit puzzled and asked myself why would he say this? Well I'm glad that they're trying to rectify this gaffe but I'm still a bit skeptical now. It's only been a week and a half since Martelly took office and this...hmmm?!?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

daphnee wrote:
I just had a chance to read everything today and At first I was bit puzzled and asked myself why would he say this? Well I'm glad that they're trying to rectify this gaffe but I'm still a bit skeptical now. It's only been a week and a half since Martelly took office and this...hmmm?!?

I know way too soon for such things, it will definitely make people ponder what is going on, well in politics mistakes are done and they get addressed. This mistake could have done some damage though hopefully they can rectify that as well immediately.

Rj production

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i don't know what you guys are talking about but it's clear this gvnt doesn't like the idea of Clinton running the show and trust me it's only a matter of time to get him out.

LouisJeanBeauge

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It’s really interesting that this statement is retracted less than 24 hours after it was made. This is mistake #1 for the not-yet-confirmed prime minister. This is politics. Not business. Making the decision to disband a commission presided by Clinton, who’s wife is the Secretary of State of Obama's adminstration who has the ears of Obama and the major donors of this fund was a stupid move. I wonder who slapped his hand to make him change direction on the IHRC?

This is where for once, I agree with H1. You have absolutely no track record of accountability and transparency (the government), you have not proven that you can adequately manage public funds and donations, yet you want to disband a commission required by those same people who are providing you this fund. A commission presided by the “most liked” American leader. I wonder what kind of thinking went into this decision. Rouzier, this is politics. Not business. You need to learn how to play this game and you need to learn fast.

@RJ, getting Clinton out also means forfeiting the needed funds (at least a significant portion of it) to start these reconstructions project. No one is going to trust the Haitian government to efficiently manage these funds. As much as Martelly and Rouzier may be credible themselves, they still represent a government that has a proven track record of mismanaging and misappropriating funds. Whether it’s loans or grants. The transparency must be established first. Get the nationalist crap out our minds. Haitians must rebuild Haiti, I agree, but it must be with your own money. If international donors are going to fund rebuilding projects, they have every right to require whoever they feel will give them results to manage these funds.

Haitianone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rj production wrote:
i don't know what you guys are talking about but it's clear this gvnt doesn't like the idea of Clinton running the show and trust me it's only a matter of time to get him out.

Well truly, the stigma is out there it will be interesting to see how Clinton reacts to this. You are dealing with on the world's best politicians and has handled worst nonsense in his day as well. The problem of getting of rid of him is why 24 hrs a retraction was made, you don't mess with the US when you yourself got nada.

Reality check, and why I doubt Clinton is leaving anytime soon.

Rj production

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LouisJeanBeauge wrote:
It’s really interesting that this statement is retracted less than 24 hours after it was made. This is mistake #1 for the not-yet-confirmed prime minister. This is politics. Not business. Making the decision to disband a commission presided by Clinton, who’s wife is the Secretary of State who has the ears of Obama and the major donors of this fund was a stupid move.

This is where for once, I agree with H1. You have absolutely no track record of accountability and transparency (the government), you have not proven that you can adequately manage public funds and donations, yet you want to disband a commission required by those same people who are providing you this fund. A commission provided by the “most liked” American leader. I wonder what kind of thinking went into this decision. Rouzier, this is politics. Not business. You need to learn how to play this game and you need to learn fast.

@RJ, getting Clinton out also means forfeiting the needed funds (at least a significant portion of it) to start these reconstructions project. No one is going to trust the Haitian government to efficiently manage these funds. As much as Martelly and Rouzier may be credible themselves, they still represent a government that has a proven track record of mismanaging and misappropriating funds. Whether it’s loans or grants. The transparency must be established first. Get the nationalist crap out our minds. Haitians must rebuild Haiti, I agree, but it must be with your own money. If international donors are going to fund rebuilding projects, they have every right to require whoever they feel will give them results to manage these funds.

I agree with you but we both know his first statement is the real direction the gvnt wants to go, for now they just have to play the game but as soon the opportunity present Clinton will be out, making room for more willing and capable haitian to handle the fund the right way.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: