Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - FRED LIZAIRE ON KING POSSE'S POPULARITY VS BARIKAD/ROCKFAM!
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

FRED LIZAIRE ON KING POSSE'S POPULARITY VS BARIKAD/ROCKFAM!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metbeton

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

uhmmm... I dont know about Haiti but I know play King posse's song in a party here more ppl are going to dance and sing it. As far as BC and Rockfam a few might sing and move to it.

OZ'MOSIS

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BC has benefited a lot from the death of its falling soldiers (Katafal, Dade, Déjà vu) in terms of popularity; the tragic accident put them on the map and forces others who were not even fans of Creole hip hop to investigate who they were about. People, who didn’t give a crap about rap or BC, were at the funeral getting their shine on. Nothing was handed to BC; they have earned everything they have. I couldn’t believe how many compas artists that were getting their spot light at the funeral, compas artists who don’t even respect Creole hip hop artists and wouldn’t even collabo with any Creole hip hop artists.

BC’s first album is a classic; the only Creole hip hop album the can stand next to SDL’s classics….

Roc Fam on the other hand , is on the map simply because they’re in polemic with BC.

DONCUE_69

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

they are not playing the same style, baricad crew and rockfam are more hardcore rap kreyol and king posse is a ragga muffin type of style..but fred lizaire is right king posse could play anywhere, kids party, graduation, you name it, but i guess since those bands came out in the haitian guetto so to speak thats why they got more street creds than king posse, but in my honest opinion si yon band paka fe sa king posse fe sou champs de mars mwen pa we kijan yo pi populaire...
after what baricad crew did at compasfest they prove me right....it's a waste of time worst performance of the event
Arrow Rolling Eyes
S- WEET
S- OUND
klass it is bebi

jeancelestin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Akukwanie wrote:
jeancelestin wrote:
Maybe, he just wants to be humble
King posse was popular accross the board! Not in terms of all social classes, but geographically speaking
Bc and Rockfam, ki moun bo isit ki ba yo pote gaz pou yo?
I do not know, but m pa we li non mwen menm
Correct me if i iam wrong! But, bc and rockfam pa kanpe sou anyen bo isit
Ayiti yo gen dwa popile, but bo isit se sou jant

Jean, mwen pa tande BC ak RF.. gen kek nan lyrics yo ki pa mal du tou. men they look very scary for some strange reason..

Scary, se rans!
Neg sa yo paret nan festival la, moun te ka kouri wi? Smile

Melfanatik

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

King Posse’s style was more relatable in my opinion and although unique, it did have certain fluency to it. The band was also known in the States, Dominican Republic, and Canada. I, too often, wonder how far they would have gone had they been formed when more resources for Haitian music and musicians became available.

I heard about BC when they lost their 3 members, and I have their first album which I believe was amazing. Then I heard about RF when I was finding out more about BC.

BC & RF are way more hardcore, not everyone understands or appreciates them; it must be said that the rivalry between the two has turned many people off including me.

All things considered, there aren’t many comparisons I care to make between King Posse and BC/RF; different varieties, stories, and eras.

konpacreole

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jeancelestin wrote:
Akukwanie wrote:
jeancelestin wrote:
Maybe, he just wants to be humble
King posse was popular accross the board! Not in terms of all social classes, but geographically speaking
Bc and Rockfam, ki moun bo isit ki ba yo pote gaz pou yo?
I do not know, but m pa we li non mwen menm
Correct me if i iam wrong! But, bc and rockfam pa kanpe sou anyen bo isit
Ayiti yo gen dwa popile, but bo isit se sou jant

Jean, mwen pa tande BC ak RF.. gen kek nan lyrics yo ki pa mal du tou. men they look very scary for some strange reason..

Scary, se rans!
Neg sa yo paret nan festival la, moun te ka kouri wi? Smile

Really!? when the muzzle is removed from the lips of ignorance, it isn't hard to tell.

konpacreole

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PhizUniq wrote:
That's quite a debatable issue.

King Posse was very very very popular and was embraced by all social classes and generations. Even young kids loved and knew King Posse's songs. Their diverse style (ragga muffin with flavors of r&b, konpa, soul, pop, rap)was welcomed and appreciated by almost everyone.

They scored many hit songs and had an all-time classic and fan favorite album with "I Like it". They became a major carnival player and all of their carnivals from 1996 to 2002 were big hits.

I mean King Posse reached a legendary status in the history of our music.

BC and Rockfam are also very popular. BC is more popular than Rockfam in my opinion Both have made their mark. But only to some extent... they are not embraced by all social classes and ages like King Posse was.

To compare their popularity to King Posse's is a little bit difficult to do. Because while BC and Rockfam are well known in Haiti, I don't really think their popularity and appeal extend that much to the diaspora in the USA, Canada, etc. like King Posse did.

The rap kreyol phenomenon also was a major boost to BC and Rockfam.

Whereas King Posse, it looks more like they created their own phenomenon and set a trend for many others that followed and even copied their style.

I co-sign with Phiz on this one.

I remember walking into a store (sold tourist collectible items) in Nantucket one summer and hearing KP on the radio. When I asked the store owner how he knew of the group, he claimed his appreciation of Carribean music and his love for KP. I have yet to hear other Haitian artists featured in that type of setting.

kompekok

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PhizUniq wrote:
That's quite a debatable issue.

King Posse was very very very popular and was embraced by all social classes and generations. Even young kids loved and knew King Posse's songs. Their diverse style (ragga muffin with flavors of r&b, konpa, soul, pop, rap)was welcomed and appreciated by almost everyone.

They scored many hit songs and had an all-time classic and fan favorite album with "I Like it". They became a major carnival player and all of their carnivals from 1996 to 2002 were big hits.

I mean King Posse reached a legendary status in the history of our music.

BC and Rockfam are also very popular. BC is more popular than Rockfam in my opinion Both have made their mark. But only to some extent... they are not embraced by all social classes and ages like King Posse was.

To compare their popularity to King Posse's is a little bit difficult to do. Because while BC and Rockfam are well known in Haiti, I don't really think their popularity and appeal extend that much to the diaspora in the USA, Canada, etc. like King Posse did.

The rap kreyol phenomenon also was a major boost to BC and Rockfam.

Whereas King Posse, it looks more like they created their own phenomenon and set a trend for many others that followed and even copied their style.

You nailed it! Excellent summary.

(Dadou Pasquet)

Jeegy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I approve this message. Sa Fred di se sa et pa gen manti.

But King Posse was more popular than either one ( BC or RF). If we put both BC and RF fans base together, than they are more popular.

Neg2byen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree with Mr Fred. King Posse's popularity was way bigger than BC's popularity right now. After "I like it" came out with mega hit songs like "Abandone" "Zanmi" "Diana" and countless Kanaval hits from 96 to early 2000, there is no way BC's popularity right now can compare to KP's.
Kanaval king posse yo te toujou pi popile ke kanaval BC yo... King posse gen kanaval depi 98 si yo lage li nan yon party tout moun ap leve danse. King posse pat janm konn itilize mo violence nan lyrics yo, kife plis moun serye te konn koute mizik king posse yo. Et orginalite king posse fe moun nan states yo te konn koute yo, BC yo menm moun isi pa pedi trop tan nan yo paske yo plen rap pou yo tande isi...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: