Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - MARIO DEVOLCY TV SHOW #1: 1 MAJOR PROBLEM WITH HMI (WATCH)
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

MARIO DEVOLCY TV SHOW #1: 1 MAJOR PROBLEM WITH HMI (WATCH)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: MARIO DEVOLCY TV SHOW #1: 1 MAJOR PROBLEM WITH HMI (WATCH) Reply with quote Back to top

COMPAS HISTORIAN and veteran MARIO DEVOLCY kicks off his debut TV SHOW on KOMPA MAGAZINE by tackling what he sees as 1 MAJOR PROBLEM IN THE HMI TODAY.

In this segment FULL OF INFO U NEED TO KNOW, Mario proves once again why he is one of the most respected voices in the HMI in terms of KNOWLEDGE about everything HMI.

*CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW
http://www.youtube.com/kompagrooves#p/u/1/GBQu2OcphpI

croixdesbouquets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

very informative !!! i learned a lot from this show...

Raymi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It was a pleasure listening to Mario. He has so much knowledge of Kompa and its history, he hardly has time to breathe when he's talking about his favorite subject.

I agree with him from the mucians' duties in integrating dancing as an aspect of Kompa music. If you watch most the videos that have come out recently, there is hardly any choarography around dancing kompa.

This tranlates as well to the featured performances in bals in the HMI. Look at any pictures of recent bals featuring the top HMI bands right here on KM and what you see is a crowd of people wacthing the bands play with few people actually dancing. And sometimes, even the few who are dancing are reduced to the girl standing in front of the guy doing who knows what.

While it is the musicians' duty to keep thel focus of the dancing aspect of Kompa, there is a generational shift that is at play as well.

Take a look at the pictures of the recent Tabou Combo bal in Chicago. What you see is a crowd full of the older generation, well dressed, and actually dancing. No one is standing around.

Before, Men were more prone to attend bals with their partners so they could be assured that they will dance the night away.

As bands like Djakout, Tvice, Carimi, and Kreyol la took the baton from the older generation, a big shift occured. Theses bands attracted indepedent ladies who did not need a man to take them dancing. As the ladies follow, so do the men.

But these ladies became very content to just stand in front of the band all night and to make Googoo eyes with Carlo or Richard, rahter than accept a dance with guy out chasing the ladies with his posse.

Just as well, most guys became content to go out and listen to their favorite bands and chill with their boys all night (Disp and Nu Look comes to mind). Most would rather to do than risk a girl saying no.

So while, Mario is right. Most musicians are ok with a crowd full of people not dancing but ap voye monte. So what, they're getting paid. But it is at the risk of limiting the progress of Kompa music. At the same time, we cannot ignore the generational gap that exist between the older generation and this new one.

Much love
Raymi

Last edited by Raymi on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

MinKompa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOWWWW!!!!... I AM MORE PROUD OF NEMOUR JEAN BAPTISTE AFTER HEARING ALL OF THIS...THAT WAS SO INFOMATIONAL...THANX MR DE VOLCY THAT WAS GREAT...KEEP THEM COMING

kafou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Si ke Kompas Direk vle developer yon Structure pou ka stabilize'l, Ki initiative ki pou koumanse dabor? sonje ke industry sa plague avek Voye mote et lacks of collectivite, kijan sa pral fe establish minm.

Tres bel messages, tres bel post et anpil Knowledge. mwen we sa se yon post Archives ki ap itil tout industry a.

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Map Pwofite voye yon Gwo Kout Chapo bay Youn lan Pi Gwo Professeurs lan HMI la....MASTER MARIO DE VOLCY.......
This man knows his Stuff and Keeps it very Simple for the Novice and the Interested...He's so Animated and the Energy comes right Through, You can sense that he means WELL by calling out the ARTISTS to take control of the standing Around Phenomenon that's hurting the Dance aspect of the Business... Wink Wink
KM, This was a Great Cup of Coffee for me this Morning.....
MARIO, I mean.....PROFESSEUR DE VOLCY.....May GOD continue to Bless you. Your information is GOLDEN.....great Show.... Laughing Laughing
Thanks KM Pat

" KM" 1Lov's Hometown Newspaper..

DON XTRA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wuawww as a YOUNG blood nan KOMPA I just learn so much by watching this video than what I have learn from the HMI scene it self.

THANK you PAT and as 1Lov' say also MASTER MARIO DE VOLCY

wuaww again thanks..

also i guess now everyone can know the importance of a "GONG" musician in a band!!

Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DON XTRA wrote:
wuawww as a YOUNG blood nan KOMPA I just learn so much by watching this video than what I have learn from the HMI scene it self.

wuaww again thanks..

also i guess now everyone can know the importance of a "GONG" musician in a band!!

Yes, you can say it again....
This Instrument is So IMPORTANT to me that I Prefer to place myself around the gongist when i'm playing...I get so much balance in my Grooves when I hear it....Se Yon Bel Instriman ki chaje Inpotans lan mouvman konpa direk la....Depil kanpe, I get so mad Mad
Mwen fanatik neg sa yo anpil...Roro (NL), Bibol ( ex-dajakout Mizk), Ti Crane (skah shah fame), Choupit (D.P . Express, mizik mizik)....The New Kids are Extremely LIMITED due to the SEQUENCER factor....Whatever you do with a sequencer is almost Unoticeable.....I know Ti Eddy of TVice really tries.... Wink

DON XTRA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1Lov' wrote:
DON XTRA wrote:

wuaww again thanks..

Yes, you can say it again....
This Instrument is So IMPORTANT to me that I Prefer to place myself around the gongist when i'm playing...I get so much balance in my Grooves when I hear it....Se Yon Bel Instriman ki chaje Inpotans lan mouvman konpa direk la....Depil kanpe, I get so mad Mad
Mwen fanatik neg sa yo anpil...Roro (NL), Bibol ( ex-dajakout Mizk), Ti Crane (skah shah fame), Choupit (D.P . Express, mizik mizik)....The New Kids are Extremely LIMITED due to the SEQUENCER factor....Whatever you do with a sequencer is almost Unoticeable.....I know Ti Eddy of TVice really tries.... Wink

Yes sirr what a lot of people may felt to realise is tht tempo of the ban deye is control by the "GONG" and once it stop u will see tout misician ap gade deye to see what happen.. Smile Smile

an other one i may add is JAMES of ZENGLEN!!
BUT my favorite right now is ALEX of CARIMI Very Happy Very Happy

1Lov'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree....I almost Fogot James of zenglen in the Live Circuit....
Alex of carimi is in the Same boat as Ti Eddy ( Restricted by a sequencer).. Wink Wink
Peace

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: