Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - HMI'S NEXT GENERATION GETS A WARNING FROM...................
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

HMI'S NEXT GENERATION GETS A WARNING FROM...................
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: HMI'S NEXT GENERATION GETS A WARNING FROM................... Reply with quote Back to top

HMI's next generation gets this warning from HMI veteran SHEDLEY ABRAHAM.

SHEDLEY ABRAHAM: "In order for you to have a future in this business to be taken seriously, and for your band to develop a good brand, YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT THE PAST BANDS THAT HELPED PAVE THE WAY in the HMI. You must know bands like SKAH-SHAH, TABOU, SYSTEM BAND and more. It helps build YOUR foundation in what you want to accomplish in the business.

The other day, I had this DJ that came to my studio as he was doing some work. I added some SAXOPHONE for him and the guy stopped me by saying AS SOON AS YOU ADD SAXOPHONE TO SONGS...LI PARET JAZZ GRANMOUN. Can you believe it? That is what he told me. That is unbelievable. In order to have a good future, you must know the past in terms of the field that you are in."

KM!

Last edited by kompamagazine on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

DJ Super Duke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree to disagree... The DJ is right bro...I respect the sax and how it was but it's time for Kompa to take another turn ...Kompa has to change if it want's to remain relevant to the world of music.... now tou moun fache et yo pa dako avem.... seulamn pa voye wosh...lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DUKE

Sanble SE OU ki DJ a? Is it? Laughing Laughing Laughing
On a serious note...why do you feel that the SAX means OLD SCHOOL?
Why can't it be used for the new generation of songs as well?

KM!

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DJ SUPERDUKE,

I agree to disagree with you.

Tou depan de janou mete saxophone nan sou mizik la fre'm.

sax lan pa oblije jwe nan stil jazz lontan yo te konn jwe'l la.

The sax is an instrument bro that is player in all types of music since it's existence.

Se comme si on moun ta di ou, when you play the sax on a song, it makes it sound jazzy, or classical etc...

yes the sax is a jazz instrument but it doesn't have to be played jazzy all the time.

se jan ou fe'l la bro.

the flute is not typically a jazz instrument but I have heard it played beautifully on some jazz pieces. It all depends.

That DJ made a very ignorant statement. He is obviously not a musician... just a DJ.

D K Bess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SIROMYEL wrote:
DJ SUPERDUKE,

I agree to disagree with you.

Tou depan de janou mete saxophone nan sou mizik la fre'm.

sax lan pa oblije jwe nan stil jazz lontan yo te konn jwe'l la.

The sax is an instrument bro that is player in all types of music since it's existence.

Se comme si on moun ta di ou, when you play the sax on a song, it makes it sound jazzy, or classical etc...

yes the sax is a jazz instrument but it doesn't have to be played jazzy all the time.

se jan ou fe'l la bro.

the flute is not typically a jazz instrument but I have heard it played beautifully on some jazz pieces. It all depends.

That DJ made a very ignorant statement. He is obviously not a musician... just a DJ.

Mwen dakor ak Syro.
Mwen te dakor ak Duke jiskaske mwen wè Reply Syro a.

Se pa instruman an se jan ou mete-l nan mizik la.
Pi bel ekzanp la se FE-M KADO-W de CARIMI...

Si on moun te di li tap met on AMONIKA nan kompa gen moun ki te ka di si moun sa fou.
Ebien jan CARIMI use li nan mizik la se Amonika a ki fe tout charme mizik la.

DJ Super Duke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see your point Siwomyel...

You are right maybe band or producers needs to do a variation of the Sax. I know my father and older folks loved the sax ...Djakout plays it but they need to change it a bit to be more appealing to the younger generation... Even some solo guitars groove now on some tracks are not necesary.

No Pat it wasn't me. and as a DJ I would propbably say the same. Maybe if when Shedly added the Sax mwen we li mache ...mwen tal kite'l mache.... mais mwen pa ta pral mande pou li.

Duke

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DJ Kreyol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am kind of one the fence between Siro's and Duke's position.

On the one hand, KONPA DIRECT, is exactly what it is. The more you change it, the more its not KONPA DIRECT. Taking away the WIND instruments make it LESS konpa direct. And we shouldn't go down the route.

If we as Haitian people, want to come up with other TYPES of music. That is cool. But don't call it konpa direct.

HOWEVER, people turn on the RADIO, you hear Bruno Mars, Rihanna, The Wanted, Kanye West and ETC.

There is NO traditional R'N'B or even Hip-Hop people. There is a SOUND (ELECTRONIC/HOUSE/CLUB) sound that DOMINATES our popular music in the States. This has crossed over to Haiti (See J.Perry).

So I think Duke is saying is that, in order for KONPA DIRECT to survive, it has to EVOLVE with the MUSIC WORLD.

So I see both points of view.

diasporadyol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dj duke i disagree with u with one word
you said kompa has to CHANGE
this is why kompa is in the toilet
right now because the new generation
went and change it. the new generation
was supposed to modernize kompa
not try to change it

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haitian Sensation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mezanmi kompa is in danger for real!! Kompa at the moment is too static.. too predictable..every band sound the same!! All the bands got the same guitar sounds!!! There are ways to make your band sound yound and fresh with any string or wind instrument. I'm just waiting for bands to come with violin, bandjo solo!!!

Pwoblem kompa is the lack of talented singers...Si se pou mizicien nou chaje bon mizicien..Anybody that knows music will tell you Haitian musicians are the best in the world!!

very sad to read the comments!!

PIYO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is a huge problem (if not fight) going on in the music world right now that might come toward us.

I will deviate every now and then just try to explain myself. I hope you will excuse me if I sound confusing

The main source, in my opinion, comes from the definitions. Some duties needs to be redefined for everyone involved to know exactly where they stand in the music industry. Shedley's approach to the issue is one of the issue of that cold war.

As we exchanging words right, technology has bring the DJs/Producers/Artist too close to each other. Before, correct me if I am wrong, the producer would produce the artists, than the DJs (either club/or Radio) would be on the underground spinning that track. Nowadays and the big markets they make tracks hits by drilling it your mind, and after few months only the real good ones stands (That practice is a lot harder in small market, it's either a hit or it's not). If your track is a hit do not worry about radio or DJ not playing it when it first come out. when it hit the street you wont have to ask they will play it.

Many times I have played for non Haitian crowd, and during and after the party people come asking me for "MY MUSIC", or "MY REMAKE" for certain song that I have played. But it's not my remake of any songs It's just me putting another "existing" instrumental under an "existing" song. But for some who did not notice they think it's my remake. But NO I HAVE NOT PRODUCE ANYTHING. To me I am been a DJ by manipulating the songs, but to a lot I am not, cause I do not have my own production.

It has been proved in the DJ world the fastest way to move up is to have your own production. So therefore a lot DJ tend to go that route to gain quick success. But connecting to a crowd and know when to make them scream does not necessarily make you a "producer". Even if one has great music sense, it does not mean he will make success in producing a track. Also producer tend to believe they know what will connect to the crowd, whereas, In my opinion he should only give advises or maybe guide the artist or the customer, instead of pushing his style into him. And if you do not agree with a customer, it should definitely not go public, bad for business. After that comment I would never go to you for your service if I actually need a producer.

And now you have producers producing artists or their own track and they put themselves out as DJs. They do not do any song manipulations, but if their track happen to be hot or popular and they are getting great reaction when they play it infront of a crowd, Hey they are great DJs.

I have seen Erica Badou, Snoop Dog behind DJ set rocking a crowd. Heck I have seen Paris Hilton behind a DJ set doing an opining in Brazil for other DJs.

The Roles need to be Redefined.

ps. sorry for grammar and spelling, "la marine pa metie'm"
PiYo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: