Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - Is Kompa taking over???
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Is Kompa taking over???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizikamort

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Is Kompa taking over??? Reply with quote Back to top

For the last couple years we have been complaining about the lack of production of our Kompa bands. On several posts opened on KM the last two to three years, KMers have expressed their ideas about bands waiting three years to release new album. We have had several complaints such as the lyrics are lacking substance, groups sounding the same or copying each other, our radio station DJs playing more foreign music than our dear Kompa, etc. Among all the complaints and suffering, the one that bothered me the most was the fact that back home Kompa did not matter much for the youths. So called Rap and Raboday music are in vogue. With the latest great albums released from Zenglen, Klass, T-Vice, CaRiMi, Disip, and Nu Look on the way, is it safe yet to say that Kompa is back.

If we are old enough to remember, the King Posse and Original Rap Staff era ended with the release of some great Kompa albums like Zenglen with Gracia at the time and others. I am not opting for the disappearance of Rap and Raboday music in our culture; after all a culture must evolve. But I would like to hear more Kompa playing on radio stations when I travel back home. I would like to hear our youngsters talk about Pipo, Pè Las, Gazman, Arly, Ti Joe, Pouchon and so on the same way the talk about BIC, Izolan, and the other rappers.

KMers what do you think?

PIYO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My Opinion.

For Kompa to take over in Haiti it would have to be a new band (local or International with a strong media presence) that the majority of the youth can Identify with. Since the majority of the Media in Haiti seems to keep the bands by the balls, It would have to be some kind of a grassroot movement. But the sounds and the lyrics would have to be relevant and be able to reach out to people.

We also have to remember Konpa in nature is more of a formal social dance type of music. Some Picke devan song can definitely be enjoyed without the need of a partner, but once the slow hit songs drop you might as well go hang by the bar. And if look at all these CD out there aren't much mid or fast tempo Hits. Most of the Hits or potitial hits are slow tracks and unfortunately might be short life.

So it's a matter of time before Rap Kreyol and Raboday come back up. And it might happen right after Kanaval. They only need few Hits and they will be back in business. The genre is not formal and you do not necessaraly need a partner to enjoy it. If Rap Kreyol and Raboday had a Meastro Rouzier or a Carl Fred to filter, structure and boost the movement, It would be a tough one for Konpa.

Two December ago, I was at a party where the DJ was asking his crowd permission to play couple Konpa tracks. Once the party DJs in Haiti, and I mean any DJs, are confortable enough to play for a good stretch konpa tunes as is, not some raboday remix, then I believe we can think of a konpa take over.

PiYo

Mizikamort

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I understand and agree with you Piyo.

I just wish Konpa could take over. It bothers me when I am back home, tuning my radio and can listen to few Konpa tracks because most radio stations are playing something else. I do not enjoy Rap Kreyòl at all, but do not mind the Raboday mix when I am partying.

I am just hoping with some well written lyrics and nice grooves on Klass, Zenglen, others, and soon Nu Look albums that Konpa can be back in full force. I also agree with you with the "come back" of slow tempo tracks, one needs a partner to party now. But one thing for sure, haitian DJs cannot complain nowadays for production. It might not be enough yet, but better than the last few years, and more to come.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: