KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

KREYOL LA WINS 2015 CD OF THE YEAR KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: KREYOL LA WINS 2015 CD OF THE YEAR KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD! Reply with quote Back to top

PAST WINNERS

*2015 Winner: KREYOL LA "Invictus"
*2014 Winner: DJAKOUT #1 "Lod Nan Dezod"
*2013 Winner: KLASS "Fe'l Vini Avan"
*2012 Winner: (We did not do it that year)
*2011 Winner: NU LOOK "Confirmation"
*2010 Winner: CARIMI "Buzz"
*2009 Winner: SHABBA "Pi Piti Pi Red"
*2008 Winner: NU LOOK "Abor"
*2007 Winner: T-VICE "Kite'm Viv"

*PART 1 is a short resume from us about what went down

*PART 2 shows you the number of votes + WHO voted for whom on the 52 Member panel.

*PART 3 are some quotes from a couple of our judges.

The award goes to KREYOL LA!

ANALYSIS:
KREYOL LA ran away with this one as it was not even close according to the members of our panel. (SEE VOTE BREAKDOWN BELOW)

*VOTE BREAKDOWN

1) KREYOL LA "INVICTUS" (24 Votes)
Roberto Martino, Bato Zenglen, Mike on Da Mic, Cadet Jean Junior, Tony Senat, Junior Vaval, Carl Toujou Santibon Atlanta, Boogie Robinson, Vlad Entourage, Ralph Rhau Young Quality, Patrick Sesanet Boston, Ti Kenken Plezi Gaye, Wes Productions, DJ Superduke, Dadou Couleur, Massaba Boston, Rocher, Edy1804 Boston, Anouce Joachim, Cardial Login, Charlin Bateau Rylax, Badi Kamal, Joshua Panik La, Rigobert Champ Productions Florida.

2) TROPICANA "Bravo Tropic" (9 Votes)
Levelt Awoze, Kenny 509, Peterson Gilles Ti Met, Mikelson Entertainment Connecticut, Francois Production Tampa, TWes Zo Solo, Adolphe Janvier, Bob Doll Gabel, Valery Lezin.

3) KENNY DESMANGLES "My Pain" (7 Votes)
Dabenz, Lesly4x4, Bodo, Alain Fleurine, JSuav, Mackenson Disip, Vicky BonBagay

4) DJAZZ LA 8 (5 Votes)
Felder Antoine, Sexybeef, Jean Max Valcourt, Scooby Cruz La, DJ Kenel Rhumbass

5) KARIZMA (3 Votes)
Marvens Bastien, Berto Bel Plezi, Tanunu Takeover Show Boston

6) KOMPASOUL (1 Vote)
Kenney Cenat Zenglen

7) DAT7 (0 Votes)

3 NO VOTES from Glenny Benoit, Frero Zenglen, and CHICO. Chico NOT ALLOWED to vote for DAT7 as his business partner BOOGIE represents the band in NYC as per him.

***QUOTES from our judges***

*ROBERTO MARTINO: "Overall package "Kreyol La."

*JEAN MAX VALCOURT: "Djazz La Vol. 8... Although it was another typical konpa project; but out of that list the Djazz La vol.8 had more creativity and diversity in terms of arrangements, Orchestration, and musical approaches and the Skah-Shah meddley with all the singers just did it. Shedly did a good job picking the right Skah-Shah songs for that meddley."

*ANOUCE JOACHIM: "CD of the year. Kreyol La. The reason I pick Kreyol La is because after Ansyto's unfortunate stroke and the departure of Ti Ansyto and Vlad the drummer, The anticipation was very high. Kreyol la proved to their loyal fans that they were still a force to be reckoned with. They put out a solid Album, maybe not in the same dimension as their previous Album (Evolution) but good enough to the public's satisfaction. Kreyol la did not disappoint at all. The promotion could have been much better, but due to the country's political situation, the album almost went undetected."

*DJ SUPERDUKE: "I chose Kreyol La. Shedly's was good but there was lack of promotion."

>The 52 Judges Panel for 2015 KOMPA MAGAZINE MUSIC AWARDS!<

1) ROBERTO MARTINO (T-Vice)
2) BATO (Zenglen)
3) GLENNY BENOIT (Carimi)
4) DABENZ (System Band)
5) JEAN MAX VALCOURT (Dola Mizik)

6) PETERSON GILLES Ti Met (Platform Magik/Radio Kiskeya Haiti)
7) MIKE ON DA MIC (Radio Television Galaxy Haiti)
8 ) DADOU COULEUR (Radio Personality in Miami)
9) FELDER ANTOINE (Bass T-Vice)
10) FRERO JEAN BAPTISTE (Zenglen)

11) KENNY DESMANGLES (509)
12) LEVELT (Awoze)
13) BOB DOLL (Gabel)
14) KENNEY CENAT (Zenglen drummer)
15) TWES ZO SOLO (Keyboardist well known in the HMI)

16) ROBINSON BOOGIE PRODUCTIONS (NYC Promoter)
17) MIKELSON Entertainement (Top Connecticut Promoter)
18 ) LESLY LAGREDEL 4X4 (Boston Rep Zenglen)
19) NICKENSON AMBROISE Plezi Gaye (Florida Promoter)
20) VLAD ENTOURAGE (NYC Promoter)

21) SEXY BEEF (Bass player/Producer)
22) MARVENS BASTIEN (Drummer T-Vice)
23) CADET JEAN JUNIOR (Animateur Scoop FM in Haiti)
24) JUNIOR VAVAL (Animateur/MC NYC)
25) TONY SENAT 9NYC Promoter/Radio Host)

26) PATRICK SESANET (Boston Promoter)
27) BODO (Keyboardist)
28 ) CARL "TOUJOU SANTI BON" (Atlanta Promoter)
29) RALPH RHAU (NYC promoter Young Quality)
30) DJ SUPERDUKE (Top Boston DJ at parties)

31) ALAIN FLEURINE (Panik La vocalist)
32) WES Production (NYC Promoter/Band manager)
33) JSUAV (Cruz La Vocalist)
34) MASSABA RAS (Boston TOP HMI Photographer/Musician)
35) FRANCOIS Production (Top TAMPA Promoter)

36) ROCHER (Solo Vocalist...former 5 Etwal)
37) BERTO BEL PLEZI
38 ) ADOLPHE JANVIER (Radio Energy FM Boston/Former Rockfam manager)
39) ANOUCE JOACHIM (Radio Pyramid NYC)
40) CARDIAL ST FLEUR (Log IN vocalist)

41) EDDY 1804 (Boston Promoter)
42) CHARLIN BATEAU (Rylax vocalist)
43) MACKENSON (Disip Guitarist)
44) SCOOBY (Cruz La maestro/Keyboardist)
45) JOSHUA BON CHWA (Panik La Vocalist)

46) VALERY LEZIN (Best Definition Studio/Musician/Keybioardist)
47) VICKY BONBAGAY (Boston Radio Personality)
48 ) TANUNU (Boston Radio personality TAKEOVER Show)
49) DJ KENEL RHUMBASS (DJ Top West Palm Beach Club)
50) BADI KAMAL Musician/Former T-Micky)
51) RIGOBERT "Champ Productions" (Florida Promoter)
52) CHICO SHOWBIZ Entertainment/Boogie Productions NYC Promoter)

KM!

wpozit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love the Kreyòl La album from day one, but I believe No Rules by Kompasoul Ks was the best album of the year. I wonder whether most of these guys on the panel actually took the time to listen to these albums before they vote.

H&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree @wpozit...
Some of these artist are so biased, shady, and quite honestly live in a tape shut shoe box.
I believe that some of these artist may not have heard the KompaSoul album but they heard about them from a fellow musician. Smh. Phony ass artists. I bet some of these guys are afraid to vote for true talent for the fear that their fellow musician "friends" would get mad seeing their name as a vote under a different band.
Antouka kitel maché.

Ernst

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KREYOL LA WINS 2015 CD OF THE YEAR KOMPA MAGAZINE AWARD! Reply with quote Back to top

This cd isn't good enough to win cd of the year. Common guys, are we talking about music? I understand pa gon gro cd ki soté pou 2015 but this cd is too weak.

TiSiwoGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

|| this is an absolute travesty for Haitian Music. It shows that even our own artists do not go out to support, buy, and enjoy all music that comes out. As a whole, our culture is forcing the new generation away because we are not even giving them a chance. If you simply listen to the first 3 songs on KompaSoul's album, it already surpasses the entire Kreyol La album.

The worst thing is that Kreyol La is a great band. And their EVOLUTION album was top of the line. It was, from top to bottom, an extraordinary album. But this album does not even come close. Let alone it does not surpass the musicianship, classiness, and drive that the 'No Rules' album displays.

In all, how can we expect our consumers, bal goers, and fans to support everything Haitian, new and old, when the musicians, promorters, and artists within do not even give them a chance. If that is not hypocritical, then I do not know what is. I am positive that they did not even take the time to listen to or buy the KS album, but they voted against it. How can that be possible? Shame on all the artists, and shame on Haitian music.

menkonpa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Asking artists to vote for their fellow artists is biased to begin with. It's like the ballon d'or vote, which is a popularity contest.
Kreyol La winning CD of the year makes no sense. Kreyol la's CD is weak, is a one man project (T-Joe). KompaSoul had a better album by far. 2015 was weak overall in Haitian music.
Kreyol La didn't deserve this award

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lovingyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Antouka kreyol la se yon LOT BAGAY of the year li genyen, pa albom. Konpasoul ak tout tropic pi bon lontan. Lè pa gen ase albom ki sòti prefere ou pa met kategori sa pat. Lem bezwen tande kreyol la se evolution mwen tande

Noupapemoun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like Kreyol la's album from the get go. But Kompasoul's cd is VERY GOOD. They may not have the fame yet for fellow musicians to take the time to listen to their album, but guys go get that cd. I also think they deserved CD of the year.

menkonpa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A while back, I came here and did a review on KS No Rules album and said it was one the best albums I had listened to in many years. After I listened to their CD a few times, I was compelled to write that review, since usually I am not into writing reviews.
Funny thing, everyone at the time was talking about Dat7, although to me and many others, their CD, though it sounds good, lacks authenticity.
It's too bad the KM award is a popularity contest, because I am sure most of the voters did not listen to all the albums that have been nominated.
But guess what, at least KompaSoul is being talked about on the board, which is not something I can say for other upcoming bands.
As a team, KS should try and capitalize on this little bit of press they have been making.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I feel really out of the loop.

I'm not familiar with the other albums on the list... 😰

However, I don't think the KL album was is as bad as some of you guys are saying. Maybe it's undeserving of album of the year. But we all know that the industry is run by the popular bands.

Even if an album is great if it's not dropped by a top band it goes unnoticed and nobody cares... It's always been like that and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

That being said, it's obvious that KL HAD NO REAL COMPETIION here since no other top bands dropped albums.

But, you guys are being super harsh on the album in my opinion. Take it from someone who was never a KL fan. They won me over with evolution, and this one in my opinion is just as solid, if not better.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: